Lincoln Cathedral is perhaps the most famous attraction in the county. The Cathedral still have the William the Conqueror Writ dating from 1072, ordering Bishop Remigius to build a cathedral at Lincoln. It was consecrated in 1092.
The cathedral has undergone numerous reconstructions in its lifetime. In 1141 there was a fire and in 1185 it was damaged by an earthquake. It was in this latter stage of building work that it adopted its famous Gothic style, under the direction of St Hugh, Bishop at the time. As a reputedly saintly man, his willingness to stand up for ordinary men and women prompted their motivation to contribute to the renovation. The most famous example of this is the Swineherd of Stow who gave his life savings to the cause.
Between 1311 and 1549 the cathedral was the tallest building in the world but it lost this accolade when its central spire blew down and was never rebuilt.
One of the most famous residents of Lincoln Cathedral is the Lincoln Imp. Residing in the Angel Choir, he is just one of the many intriguing Gothic carved figures in the cathedral and he has become a symbol of the city. The imp is said to represent the evil side of all of us; legend tells us that a small devil entered the cathedral and plagued the angels who had to turn him to stone to stop him.
Today, the scale and importance of the building demands a team of 30 traditional craftsmen and women to continually maintain it.
A number of visitor tours are available to tell more about Lincoln Cathedral.
The Floor Tour lasts approximately an hour and incorporates all aspects, from architecture to the history of the building.
The Roof Tour lasts approximately 90 minutes. Visitors are able to see the inside of one of the cathedral roofs, as well as a close up view of the stained glass windows. Advance booking is recommended.
The Tower Tour runs from March to November and visitors climb the cathedral’s highest tower. At the top is a 360 degree view of the city and beyond. Advance booking is recommended.
Visitors can also enjoy the Refectory, which serves home cooked Lincolnshire produce, and the Cathedral Shop.